Paleo Huevos Rancheros
with spicy ground pork / lime slaw
Another version of this traditional Mexican breakfast was first featured in a meal plan in 2016. To make it even faster to prepare, this time we're using store-bought salsa, but check out the original version if you’d like to make a salsa from scratch.
Paleo Huevos Rancheros:
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 8
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - Chop green onions, combining green and white parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season pork - Combine pork with salt, cumin (portion for huevos), coriander, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slaw - Combine coleslaw mix with green onions, oil (portion for slaw), lime juice, and cumin (portion for slaw). Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Heat a skillet with oil (first portion for huevos) over medium-high heat. Add pork and saute, breaking pork apart, until pork is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off excess liquid / fat. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Next, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (second portion for huevos). Crack eggs into heated oil (you may have to work in batches) and cook until the whites are set. If you like your eggs less runny, cover the pan with a lid and cook until eggs are at the consistency you want.
- Toss slaw and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide pork between serving bowls. Top pork with eggs, slaw, salsa, and avocados. Enjoy!