with refried beans / lime slaw
Another version of this traditional Mexican breakfast was first featured in a meal plan in 2016. To make it even faster to prepare, this time we're using store-bought salsa, but check out the original version if you’d like to make a salsa from scratch.
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Tortillas, corn and taco-sized - 8
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 8
- Beans, refried (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup
- Sour cream - 2 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - Chop green onions, combining green and white parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Combine coleslaw mix with green onions, oil (portion for slaw), lime juice, sugar, and cumin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Arrange top rack of the oven so it’s 6” / 15 cm from the broiler. Turn on broiler (use the low setting if available).
- Place tortillas in a single layer on a sheet pan (you might have to separate into 2 batches). Brush both sides of tortillas with some oil. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until they crisp up. Transfer tortillas onto plates (2 / serving).
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for huevos). Crack eggs into heated oil (you may have to work in batches) and cook until the whites are set. If you like your eggs less runny, cover the pan with a lid and cook until eggs are at the consistency you want.
- Transfer eggs to tortillas. Repeat until all eggs are cooked.
- Empty refried beans into a microwave-safe container. Heat according to instructions on can.
- Toss slaw and season with some salt and pepper.
- Top tortillas and eggs with salsa and avocados. Serve sour cream, beans, and slaw on the side.