Lentils and Mushrooms with Gravy
and mashed potatoes / peas
Lentils and Mushrooms with Gravy:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion powder (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled and cubed
- Sour cream - 3 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Peas, frozen - 2 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Onions - (If prepping right before cooking, get potatoes boiling before continuing with prep.) Thinly slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make lentil spice mix - Combine salt, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make gravy mixture - Combine stock, water, soy sauce, and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with sour cream, butter (portion for potatoes), and some salt. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions and mushrooms. Saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add flour and spice mix and stir until no dry spots of flour remain, ~2 minutes.
- Pour gravy mixture over onions / mushrooms while whisking. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low-medium and add lentils. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place frozen peas in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Defrost until no longer frozen and then cook on high until heated through, ~1 minute. Remove and toss with butter (portion for peas) and some salt and pepper.
- Serve lentils, mushrooms, and sauce over mashed potatoes. Serve peas on the side. Enjoy!