Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
and mashed potatoes / peas
Smarts: The gravy served with this version of Salisbury steak includes sliced onions and mushrooms for added depth. If you prefer a smooth gravy, feel free to skip one or both of these additions to the gravy.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion powder (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 1 1/2 cups (sub any type stock)
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Worcestershire sauce, gluten-free - 2 tsp (sub Tamari)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 1/4 cup (sub any gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- Ketchup - 1 Tbsp (sub tomato paste)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 2 Tbsp (sub almond flour )
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Sour cream - 3 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Peas, frozen - 2 1/2 cups
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Onions - (If prepping right before cooking, get potatoes boiling before continuing with prep.) Thinly slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Salisbury spice mix - Combine salt, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make gravy mixture - Combine stock, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Form patties - Combine beef with Salisbury spice mix, panko, and ketchup. Form into 4 oval patties (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Try not to overwork the mixture as this will make the “steaks” more dense. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with sour cream, butter (portion for potatoes), and some salt. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then patties to heated oil. Cook patties on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip patties and continue cooking until cooked to your liking (similar to burgers) - 2 to 3 minutes more for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes more for medium, 5 to 6 minutes more for well-done.
- Set patties aside, covered to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- If the pan is dry, add a splash of oil. Add onions and mushrooms and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain, ~2 minutes.
- Pour gravy mixture over onions / mushrooms while whisking. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer gravy until it thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place frozen peas in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Defrost until no longer frozen and then cook on high until heated through, ~1 minute. Remove and toss with butter (portion for peas) and some salt and pepper.
- Serve Salisbury steaks over mashed potatoes with gravy spooned over top. Serve peas on the side. Enjoy!
Make sure you make the patties nice and thin1 Helpful
Really yummy meat, but my gravy didn’t have a lot of flavor. Next time I’ll increase some of the gravy ingredients for more flavor.0 Helpful
So good. Relatively easy. I need to perfect my pan frying because the steaks got a LITTLE brown, but otherwise a very good recipe. Will make again.0 Helpful
Came out SO good0 Helpful
The whole family loved it and went back for seconds. I left out the mushrooms, so the gravy was a little thin, but still delicious. I also made baked sweet potatoes in the microwave instead of mashed potatoes to save time.0 Helpful
This was good but next time I would add more spices and flavoring.0 Helpful
My spouse and I loved this, the kids didn't though. Lovely winter comfort food IMO.0 Helpful