Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoff
Smarts: We suggest pasta as a base for this saucy dish, but the stroganoff would also be good served over rice or any grain.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard - 2 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Pasta, gluten-free fusilli - 8 oz (sub any gluten-free pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more. Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in yogurt. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
I've made this recipe so many times and it is still such a comfort food! I usually sub spinach for the chard just for easier prep.0 Helpful
Didn’t miss the meat at all!0 Helpful
SO GOOD. It took me closer to 12 minutes to cook down the mushrooms until they got brown and developed that umami flavor.0 Helpful
This was DELICIOUS. We served it over rice and used kale instead of chard. Also added navy beans just to give the vegetarian version a bit more protein heft. The other alteration was cornstarch instead of flour as a thickener. Fantastic!0 Helpful
Love how quick & easy this one is. Whipped it together for a lazy Monday night meal.0 Helpful
Skipped the almond flour because of allergies, but it was still tasty.0 Helpful