Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoffwith egg noodles
This creamy, comforting vegetarian variation on a classic stroganoff got such great reviews when it was first featured in 2017 that we've been excited to bring it back.
Smarts: Egg noodles are a classic base for stroganoff, but this dish would be equally delicious served over rice, spaghetti, or any grain.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard - 2 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Chard - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark brown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more. Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in yogurt. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This meal has 48 reviews
Skipped the almond flour because of allergies, but it was still tasty.
This was a delicious and non-meat version of a dish I have always loved. I also used kale, and would advise using more as others have. Excellent!
I used vegan creme fraiche in place of the yoghurt and also kale in place of chard. Loved this recipe with either pasta or brown rice.
Yum! Definitely lived up to the hype. Added the whole bunch of chard as many advised here. I also added some chicken breast that I cut into cubes and sauteed according to the Paleo recipe. Ended up putting in too much salt, so next time I'll try to be better about tasting before I season.
I really enjoyed this. I added mushrooms - because I like them a lot - and I think I could have actually added more chard and been happy with that as well.
Definitely take the time with the mushrooms -- yum!