Cashew Chicken and Broccoli
with cauliflower rice
Cashew Chicken and Broccoli:
- Broccoli - 12 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
Cashew Chicken Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 4 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head , florets chopped
- Ghee - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in ghee. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add ghee. Saute cauliflower in heated ghee for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock, aminos, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions.
- Make arrowroot slurry - Combine arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add second part of oil and then broccoli. Saute broccoli until nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to look dry during cooking.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and add chicken back to pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give arrowroot slurry a stir. Slowly pour the arrowroot slurry into the sauce. Continue simmering until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve cashew chicken over cauliflower rice with green onions on top. Enjoy!