Cashew Chicken and Broccoli
with cauliflower rice
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 4 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Ghee - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in ghee. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add ghee. Saute cauliflower in heated ghee for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock, aminos, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions.
- Make arrowroot slurry - Combine arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add second part of oil and then broccoli. Saute broccoli until nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to look dry during cooking.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and add chicken back to pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give arrowroot slurry a stir. Slowly pour the arrowroot slurry into the sauce. Continue simmering until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve cashew chicken over cauliflower rice with green onions on top. Enjoy!
Go to favorite0 Helpful
I added some bok choy and a little extra flavoring with a couple of teaspoons of teriyaki and General Tso's sauce and used some brown rice and quinoa to make it a bit healthier. Really liked it!0 Helpful
good and tasty, made it for hubby, me and two kids and have 1 portion leftover for lunch.0 Helpful
I loved this but I'd probably roast the chickpeas while the rice is cooking next time. It would've been better with crispy chickpeas!0 Helpful
I've been making variations on this meal for decades, but this version is a favorite for a quick half-hour prep time. Really you can just about get the rest of it done while the rice cooks.0 Helpful
Thought it was super easy to make and tasted great! Will definitely make again but I think the next time I would omit the cornstarch but that's because I like my sauce a little more saucier!0 Helpful