Cashew Chicken and Broccoli
This Asian dish is so simple to make at home that you'll never want to get the take-out version again! We've made a few small changes to the original recipe, including increasing the sauce so there's even more to be soaked up when it's served over rice.
Cashew Chicken and Broccoli:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Broccoli - 12 oz , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
Cashew Chicken Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, stock, soy sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Season with some salt and pepper and toss with flour. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions.
- Make cornstarch slurry - Combine cornstarch and water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add second part of oil and then broccoli. Saute broccoli until nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it starts to look dry during cooking.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and add chicken back to pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give cornstarch slurry a stir. Slowly pour the cornstarch into the sauce. Continue simmering until sauce is thick, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashews.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Serve cashew chicken over rice with green onions on top. Enjoy!