Slow Cooker (or not) Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
with avocados / sour cream / tortilla chips
We've updated this unique chili that was first introduced to our meal plan service back in 2015. Thanks to community member feedback, we've added beans and more spices to this long-time favorite.
Smarts: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Green onions - 2, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream - for serving
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- If cooking chili in the slow cooker: Heat a skillet with oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and turkey and saute, breaking it apart as it cooks, until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer turkey to slow cooker and add sweet potatoes, beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and stock. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- If cooking chili on the stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and turkey and saute, breaking it apart as it cooks, until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add in sweet potatoes, beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- When chili is finished cooking, taste and season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce if you’d like it spicier.
- Serve chili with green onions, avocados, and sour cream for topping. Enjoy with tortilla chips on the side for dipping or crumbled over top.
I made this in our InstaPot. Substituted one 15oz can of drained and rinsed black beans for the kidney beans. Cooked on the soup setting for 5 minutes on high power, because all you have to do is soften up the sweet potatoes. Served with Tostitos Scoops. - Timothy0 Helpful
Excellent. Easy to make. Loved by young (2yrs) and "old" my husband 66. Second time to make this as my daughter (a mom) Loved it!0 Helpful
Veggie version was good - almost forgot it didn't have meat!0 Helpful
Made this twice, once with the turkey and once with lentils, and I actually like it better with lentils! And not too spicy. Kids liked the sweet potatoes and beans from it, but they are not partial to tomato based things. The 8 serving does not fit in my IP!1 Helpful
My family and I liked it - even the in-laws :) I left it not-spicy so my kids would like it and those who wanted added some spice. I plan to do this again, especially on a day when I can't get home to make dinner in time (like this week!).0 Helpful
It was good but very similar to other slow cooker meals this winter.0 Helpful