Slow Cooker (or not) Turkey and Sweet Potato Chiliwith avocados / sour cream / tortilla chips
We've updated this unique chili that was first introduced to our meal plan service back in 2015. Thanks to community member feedback, we've added beans and more spices to this long-time favorite.
Smarts: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Turkey, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Beans, kidney (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Sour cream - for serving
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- If cooking chili in the slow cooker: Heat a skillet with oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and turkey and saute, breaking it apart as it cooks, until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer turkey to slow cooker and add sweet potatoes, beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and stock. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- If cooking chili on the stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and turkey and saute, breaking it apart as it cooks, until brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add in sweet potatoes, beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- When chili is finished cooking, taste and season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce if you’d like it spicier.
- Serve chili with green onions, avocados, and sour cream for topping. Enjoy with tortilla chips on the side for dipping or crumbled over top.
This meal has 55 reviews
My family and I liked it - even the in-laws :) I left it not-spicy so my kids would like it and those who wanted added some spice. I plan to do this again, especially on a day when I can't get home to make dinner in time (like this week!).
It was good but very similar to other slow cooker meals this winter.
Easy, delicious and definitely a meal to return to.
Loved this. Served it to guests who loved it too. I subbed black beans for kidney beans. Excellent!
Oh, this was so good! I ended up adding a can of chickpeas to compensate for only a lb of turkey, nearly doubled the spices (and used smoked paprika vs. reg), added some cinnamon, and the flavor profile was so rich! It did ended up more as Mediterranean/Indian, so the avocado, cheese, and scallions didn't quite work, but frankly, they weren't needed. Used Instant Pot. Sauteed everything, 15 mins manual, natural release.
It was a little too spicy and lacked some other flavor. I liked the guacamole. I made it with ground chicken as I don't like ground turkey.