Hoisin Tofu Lo Mein
with mushrooms / carrots / snow peas
With a sweet-salty Hoisin sauce, this tofu and noodle stir-fry is big on flavor and packed with vegetables.
Hoisin Tofu Lo Mein:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz , sliced
- Noodles, lo mein - 8 oz (sub linguine or spaghetti)
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Snow peas - 6 oz
- Carrots - 5 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Lemons, juice of - 1/2
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Lo Mein Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Hoisin sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together garlic, water, soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and saute until tofu is lightly browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute more. Set tofu aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil to wok and then mushrooms, snow peas, and carrots. Saute until starting to turn tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tofu back to wok along with sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce bubbles and thickens, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add noodles. Toss everything to combine.
- Top lo mein with lemon juice and cilantro. Serve with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!