Spanish Meatballswith roasted cauliflower and chickpeas
This is a Spanish twist on meatballs in red sauce that was first featured in our meal plan in 2015. The fragrant spices and side of roasted cauliflower make this a healthy and satisfying meal.
Smarts: The saucy meatballs are great on their own, but feel free to add some rice, quinoa, or couscous if you'd like something to soak up the sauce.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Turkey, ground - 2 lbs
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Parchment paper (opt) - for baking
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower florets - 16 oz, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Lemons, juice of - 1/2
- Cauliflower / Onions / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Combine garlic, eggs, panko, turkey, ground coriander, salt, and black pepper. Gently mix together with a spoon or with your hands. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm balls. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees. Set out two sheet pans.
- On the first sheet pan, toss cauliflower florets with cooking oil, paprika, and cumin (portions for cauliflower). Season with some salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until golden brown and tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Line the second sheet pan with some parchment paper or brush it with some cooking oil. Spread meatballs out on sheet pan.
- Bake meatballs until cooked through, shaking the pan a couple times as they cook, 18 to 20 minutes total.
- While cauliflower and meatballs cook, heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add paprika and cumin (portions for Spanish tomato sauce) to onions and saute for 1 minute more. Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and keep at a low simmer until meatballs are done cooking.
- When meatballs are cooked through, add half to the sauce (reserve half for Thursday’s meal). Cover and simmer meatballs and sauce together for 5 minutes.
- When cauliflower is tender, stir in beans and continue cooking for 3 minutes more to let beans warm up.
- Top cauliflower and beans with lemon juice.
- Season meatballs and sauce with some salt and pepper.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with cauliflower and yogurt on the side. Top both with cilantro. Enjoy!
This meal has 69 reviews
Took more time than I expected if you don't prep in advanced, but so good! And it was great because this was used in a later meal in the week!
Only made the side dish and it was delicious.
I ate the meatballs with some rice to soak up the sauce. The cauliflower was the best part though.
I didn't mind it. Husband thought it was 'fine, but bland'.
Good meal. It was a lot of work but my husband and I enjoyed it. I used Chicken instead of turkey.
Simple and tasty. Solid meal, but I probably wouldn’t make it again.