Eggs Baked in Portobello Mushrooms
and salsa / avocados / kale chips
Build flavor in these mushroom caps filled with eggs by brushing the mushrooms in a Southwestern-inspired marinade and topping the finished dish with your favorite salsa.
Smarts: Some of the egg whites may spill out of the portobello mushroom caps, especially if using smaller mushrooms. To make clean-up easier, line the sheet pan with foil before roasting the mushrooms.
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch, leaves torn
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, portobello - 8, stems removed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Foil - for baking
- Eggs - 8
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Salsa, any type - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Kale - Remove stems and scrape out gills from mushrooms. Remove and discard stems from kale leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Marinate mushrooms - Whisk together cooking oil, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Brush marinade onto all sides of mushrooms. Let mushrooms marinate for 20 minutes. (Get oven heating while mushrooms marinate.)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Line a sheet pan with some foil. Spread mushrooms on the pan, hollow-side facing up. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Meanwhile, spread kale leaves out on a second sheet pan and toss with olive oil.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350F / 177C. (Note: If the mushrooms have released moisture while cooking, drain off excess water and use paper towels or dish towels to pat the mushrooms dry.)
- Crack an egg into each mushroom. Season the tops of the eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer both sheet pans (mushrooms and kale leaves) to the oven and continue roasting until eggs are cooked to your liking and kale leaves are crisp. This should take about 6 to 8 minutes for both.
- Slice avocados.
- Sprinkle kale leaves with some salt right out of the oven.
- Serve mushrooms / eggs with avocado slices and salsa on top. Enjoy with kale leaves on the side.
yummy, but could use stronger flavors0 Helpful
We skipped the kale chips but otherwise made it exactly as shown, including tomato. It was awesome! Very tasty and didn't feel like we were lacking by not having meat. Very good.0 Helpful
Added a fried egg for fun.0 Helpful
Flavors were okay. Recommend adding the tomato and other toppings you have handy. The kale chip recipe didn't get the chips very crispy. The aioli is really the only redeeming quality for this one!0 Helpful
Just loved this! I skipped the bun. So delicious and easy.0 Helpful
Made with a shredded cheddar cheese mix and enjoyed it a lot. I would make more of the aioli next time, but I could see how that would up the calories. And can probably put a thicker slice of tomato in it.0 Helpful