Swiss Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Burgersand kale chips / honey garlic aioli
You won't miss the meat in these portobello burgers that are filled with melted cheese and toasted panko breadcrumbs for crunch. A creamy honey-garlic aioli adds another layer of flavor and doubles as a dipping sauce for kale "chips".
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Tomatoes, medium (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Cheese, shredded Swiss - 4 oz
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Make aioli - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating and mushrooms roasting first.) Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, mayonnaise, honey, mustard, and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Kale - Remove stems and scrape out gills from mushrooms. Remove and discard stems from kale leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes.
- Make filling - Combine panko, cheese, and oregano.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Spread mushrooms, hollow-side facing up on a sheet pan. Brush with some oil and season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Meanwhile, spread kale leaves out on a second sheet pan and toss with olive oil.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350F / 177C.
- Melt butter and stir into panko / cheese filling.
- Top mushrooms with tomato slices and then with panko / cheese filling.
- Transfer both sheet pans (mushrooms and kale leaves) to the oven and continue roasting until panko is golden brown and kale leaves are crisp. This should take about 6 to 8 minutes for both.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Sprinkle kale leaves with some salt right out of the oven.
- Spread the inside of each bun with some aioli and top with a mushroom and a leaf of kale (for some extra crunch / color). Serve the remaining kale leaves with any remaining aioli for dipping. Enjoy!
This meal has 11 reviews
Couldn’t keep my eggs in my mushrooms. Made a mess, tasted ok
I was only able to get eggs in half of my mushrooms. Ended up scrambling the rest. Tasted good, but too much work for a weeknight for me
Good call on drying the mushrooms!
Not normally a huge mushroom fan but with the panko crumbs and cheese I thought it was really yummy...and filling!
Served on cauliflower rice instead of on a bun. Overall pretty meh
Really enjoyed this meal! The mushrooms I used were not overly thick, and cooked up nicely. My two guys who won't eat mushrooms still enjoyed the cheese topping on their hamburgers. The aioli was a big hit!