Swiss Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Burgers
and kale chips / honey garlic aioli
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch , leaves torn off of stems
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
Swiss Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Burgers:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed
- Tomatoes, medium (opt) - 1 , thinly sliced
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Cheese, shredded Swiss - 4 oz
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
Honey Garlic Aioli:
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Make aioli - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating and mushrooms roasting first.) Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, mayonnaise, honey, mustard, and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Kale - Remove stems and scrape out gills from mushrooms. Remove and discard stems from kale leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes.
- Make filling - Combine panko, cheese, and oregano.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Spread mushrooms, hollow-side facing up on a sheet pan. Brush with some oil and season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10 minutes to get them started cooking.
- Meanwhile, spread kale leaves out on a second sheet pan and toss with olive oil.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 350F / 177C. (Note: If the mushrooms have released moisture while cooking, drain off excess water and use paper towels or dish towels to pat the mushrooms dry.)
- Melt butter and stir into panko / cheese filling.
- Top mushrooms with tomato slices and then with panko / cheese filling.
- Transfer both sheet pans (mushrooms and kale leaves) to the oven and continue roasting until panko is golden brown and kale leaves are crisp. This should take about 6 to 8 minutes for both.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Sprinkle kale leaves with some salt right out of the oven.
- Spread the inside of each bun with some aioli and top with a mushroom and a leaf of kale (for some extra crunch / color). Serve the remaining kale leaves with any remaining aioli for dipping. Enjoy!