Penne and Roasted Cauliflower with Piccata Sauce
and green salad
Smarts: Roasting cauliflower before adding it to the pasta builds a lot of flavor. Feel free to let it cook longer than listed if you'd like even more golden edges and roasted flavor.
- Cauliflower - 16 oz, florets
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Pasta, penne - 8 oz
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Lemon juice - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 cup, halved
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Cauliflower / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating / cauliflower roasting while boiling pasta.) Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocados / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss cauliflower with red pepper flakes, first portion of cooking oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast until tender and brown in spots, ~20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- When cauliflower is nearly done roasting, heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add second portion of cooking oil and then shallots and oregano. Saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until no dry spots of flour remain.
- Slowly pour stock and wine into the pan while whisking. Add lemon juice and capers and bring sauce to a simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir butter and parsley into sauce. Add pasta and cauliflower and toss everything to combine. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss mixed greens, avocado, and tomatoes together. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Quick and easy weeknight meal!0 Helpful
Incredible! Great flavor. Family loved it.0 Helpful
One of our top 10 or even 50 Helpful
I thought the shallot was a little overpowering in the sauce, might leave it out next time. Make sure if you’re using the Skinny green beans you reduce the temp and/or cooking time.0 Helpful
I burnt the coating a tiny bit, but it was still delicious! Could have used a little bit more sauce, but I squeezed on some extra lemon juice and that helped. Favorited!0 Helpful