Lemon Roasted Chickenand baked risotto with spinach
Tart lemon flavors in this roasted chicken complement the richness of oven baked risotto.
Smarts: A highly acidic lemon juice and garlic marinade works fast to tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor.
Smarts: Both the chicken and risotto start on the stovetop and finish in the oven in about the same amount of time. Read through the instructions before you start since you’ll be cooking both dishes at the same time.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on - 4
- Lemons - 1, thinly sliced
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar (opt) - 1 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - for serving, grated
- Marinate chicken - Chop garlic. Combine garlic and lemon juice in a zip-top bag or baking dish. Add chicken and toss to coat in marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep breading - Combine flour, paprika, thyme, and salt in a zip-top bag or bowl. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and toss in breading.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet with oil over medium heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook on one side until skin is crisp, ~8 minutes.
- While chicken is crisping up, heat a Dutch oven with butter over medium heat. Add onions with a pinch of salt to melted butter. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Return to chicken and, if skin is crisp, turn chicken so the skin is facing up. Sprinkle the skin with brown sugar and top each piece of chicken with a lemon slice.
- Transfer skillet with chicken to the oven. Cover risotto with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook both dishes together for ~20 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C. Risotto is done when all of the liquid is absorbed.
- When risotto is finished, remove it from the oven and stir in spinach. (Putting the lid back on will help the spinach to wilt more quickly.) Season with some salt.
- Serve chicken with risotto on the side. Top risotto with some parmesan if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 67 reviews
The lemon/brown sugar flavor of the chicken was a huge hit.
This chicken was amazing. Extremely tender and flavorful.
Paleo version was DELICIOUS. The chicken was so tasty. I will definitely make this again.
I particularly liked the rice!
The chicken was absolutely delicious. I added a touch of maple syrup to the brussels sprouts for some sweetness which I think did well.
This meal was good but I wouldn't rate it above most others we've had... if I was making it again I'd probably try with boneless/skinless just to see what happens.