Lemon Roasted Chicken
and baked risotto with spinach
Smarts: A highly acidic lemon juice and garlic marinade works fast to tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor.
Smarts: Both the chicken and risotto start on the stovetop and finish in the oven in about the same amount of time. Read through the instructions before you start since you’ll be cooking both dishes at the same time.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on - 4
- Lemons - 1, thinly sliced
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar (opt) - 1 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - for serving, grated
- Marinate chicken - Chop garlic. Combine garlic and lemon juice in a zip-top bag or baking dish. Add chicken and toss to coat in marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep breading - Combine flour, paprika, thyme, and salt in a zip-top bag or bowl. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and toss in breading.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet with oil over medium heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook on one side until skin is crisp, ~8 minutes.
- While chicken is crisping up, heat a Dutch oven with butter over medium heat. Add onions with a pinch of salt to melted butter. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Return to chicken and, if skin is crisp, turn chicken so the skin is facing up. Sprinkle the skin with brown sugar and top each piece of chicken with a lemon slice.
- Transfer skillet with chicken to the oven. Cover risotto with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook both dishes together for ~20 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C. Risotto is done when all of the liquid is absorbed.
- When risotto is finished, remove it from the oven and stir in spinach. (Putting the lid back on will help the spinach to wilt more quickly.) Season with some salt.
- Serve chicken with risotto on the side. Top risotto with some parmesan if you’d like. Enjoy!
I didn’t make the risotto, but the chicken was really delicious.0 Helpful
We love risotto, and I used a pre-marinated lemon pepper chicken so it was super easy to throw together. Kids loved it, too.0 Helpful
My husbands favorite lemon chicken :)0 Helpful
This looked like it was from a restaurant even though it was fairly simple to put together. Loved the crispy skin even though i tried not to eat too much of it. Risotto was great!0 Helpful
Definitely read through the recipe first because it’s a lot going on at the same time. Risotto turned out really well. The flavor of the chicken was great, I just don’t love bone-in chicken. Might try a different cut of chicken next time, but definitely will do again.0 Helpful
The lemon/brown sugar flavor of the chicken was a huge hit.0 Helpful