Steak Saladwith apples / roasted sweet potatoes / feta
This warm entree salad is surprisingly satisfying thanks to the layers of flavors provided by a few favorite cool weather ingredients.
Smarts: Use tart apples to balance the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce, gluten-free (opt) - 2 tsp
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 1/4 lbs
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, cubed
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating first.) Chop parsley. Combine parsley, Tamari, first part of cooking oil, vinegar (portion for salad), and Worcestershire sauce. Add steak and turn to coat in marinade. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- While potatoes roast, remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then steak to heated pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with a lid or foil, and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~5 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~7 minutes).
- Transfer steak to a cutting board. Cover and let rest while potatoes finish roasting.
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Assemble salads by topping spinach with apples, feta, and sweet potatoes. Slice steak and serve on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette (reserve half if doubled). Enjoy!
This was lovely. Will totally make again. Heated up the dressing cause we don't like raw onions/shallots0 Helpful
Meh, this just didn't quite work for me as well as I thought it would.0 Helpful
Loved this salad! I would have given it a 5, but I mistakenly put a whole shallot in the dressing, so it was too sharp and pasty. I’ll definitely make this again, but with the proper portions of dressing.0 Helpful
Really yummy winter salad. Would 1.5x or double the dressing next time.0 Helpful
All the elements played so well together. This was delicious0 Helpful
Loved this. Didn't have a shallot, but didn't think the dressing needed it. The steak was wonderful and would make again even without the salad.0 Helpful