Steak Saladwith apples / roasted sweet potatoes / feta
This warm entree salad is surprisingly satisfying thanks to the layers of flavors provided by a few favorite cool weather ingredients.
Smarts: Use tart apples to balance the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 1/4 lbs
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, cubed
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating first.) Chop parsley. Combine parsley, soy sauce, first part of cooking oil, vinegar (portion for salad), and Worcestershire sauce. Add steak and turn to coat in marinade. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- While potatoes roast, remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then steak to heated pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with a lid or foil, and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~5 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~7 minutes).
- Transfer steak to a cutting board. Cover and let rest while potatoes finish roasting.
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Assemble salads by topping spinach with apples, feta, and sweet potatoes. Slice steak and serve on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette (reserve half if doubled). Enjoy!
This meal has 51 reviews
Really nice balance of flavors. Easy to put together. I will be making this again.
Really enjoyed this! The flavor combos worked really well, which I find frequently happens with CS salads :) had to use frozen, cubed sweet potatoes as that's all that was left at the grocery store and worked surprisingly well!
I bought thin cut sirloin steak and added the shallot to the marinade instead of to the dressing since I prefer shallots cooked. I cut the steak into strips after marinating it and stir fried it. It turned out delicious and super easy!
Delicious. Sautéed spinach and onion then added dressing. Served sweet potato on the side. Ate apple and walnuts as dessert
Fantastic salad. I didn't have enough oil so I cheated and used a balsamic vinaigrette we had in the fridge. The steak was so flavorful. I had to add another 10 minutes to the sweet potatoes for them to be tender enough.
So good! Felt like a full meal, which is sometimes tricky with salads.