Lentil and Roasted Sweet Potato Saladwith apples / feta / walnuts
This warm entree salad is surprisingly satisfying thanks to the layers of flavors provided by a few favorite cool weather ingredients.
Smarts: Use tart apples to balance the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Walnut halves - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, cubed
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts - If you’d like walnuts for the salad toasted, toast in a dry skillet over medium heat. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- If you’d like the lentils warm in the salad, heat them in the microwave for ~1 minute.
- When potatoes are finished, set half aside for Tuesday night’s meal.
- Assemble salads by tossing spinach with apples, feta, lentils, walnuts, and sweet potatoes. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking (reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled). Enjoy!
This meal has 51 reviews
The steak was great. I thought the whole salad was great but the husband wasn't a huge fan of the sweet potatoes. We both agreed we would totally eat again.
This was delicious and would make it again. I did feel we needed more dressing, so will make 1.5-2x more next time.
My husband and I LOVED the paleo version of this - the marinated steak was SO good.
I wanted to like this salad more, but I think it was missing something crunchy. Walnuts might have been a good addition. That said, I also substituted red leaf lettuce for the spinach, and rotisserie chicken breast for the steak because we already had them. I think I steamed the sweet potatoes too long. They got mushed in the salad. In the future, I would roast the sweet potatoes longer and add in some nuts and maybe another tart element like pomegranate or cranberry.
Delicious! The family LOVED the unique combination of different flavors. We used Gala apples - I think choice of apple depends on individual preference. My family doesn't care for Granny Smith. SOOOO good!
Steak was delicious well seasoned. The combo of the salad and the apples and walnuts were very satisfying.