Lentil and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
with apples / feta / walnuts
This warm entree salad is surprisingly satisfying thanks to the layers of flavors provided by a few favorite cool weather ingredients.
Smarts: Use tart apples to balance the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Walnut halves - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, cubed
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts - If you’d like walnuts for the salad toasted, toast in a dry skillet over medium heat. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- If you’d like the lentils warm in the salad, heat them in the microwave for ~1 minute.
- When potatoes are finished, set half aside for Tuesday night’s meal.
- Assemble salads by tossing spinach with apples, feta, lentils, walnuts, and sweet potatoes. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking (reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled). Enjoy!
Loved it! So tasty! Could make a little more dressing.0 Helpful
It was ok. Salad needed a crunchy element.0 Helpful
My balsamic vinaigrette marinade ended up being a little overpowering. Other than that, it was a nice, simple meal.0 Helpful
Very good, used slivered almonds and a better cut of steak. Was delicious0 Helpful
I’m not big on salads but I loved this one!0 Helpful
Holy Schnikies that was GOOD. Everything melded perfectly together. This will definitely be one of our favorites!0 Helpful