with apples / roasted sweet potatoes / walnuts
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 1/4 lbs
- Walnut halves - 1/2 cup
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 3 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - (If prepping before cooking, get oven heating first.) Chop parsley. Combine parsley, aminos, first part of cooking oil, and vinegar (portion for salad). Add steak and turn to coat in marinade. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Walnuts - If you’d like walnuts for the salad toasted, toast in a dry skillet over medium heat. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), and mustard. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- While potatoes roast, remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then steak to heated pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with a lid or foil, and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~5 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~7 minutes).
- Transfer steak to a cutting board. Cover and let rest while potatoes finish roasting.
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- When potatoes are finished, set half aside for Tuesday night’s meal.
- Assemble salads by topping spinach with apples, walnuts, and sweet potatoes. Slice steak and serve on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette (reserve half if doubled). Enjoy!
Loved it! So tasty! Could make a little more dressing.0 Helpful
It was ok. Salad needed a crunchy element.0 Helpful
My balsamic vinaigrette marinade ended up being a little overpowering. Other than that, it was a nice, simple meal.0 Helpful
Very good, used slivered almonds and a better cut of steak. Was delicious0 Helpful
I’m not big on salads but I loved this one!0 Helpful
Holy Schnikies that was GOOD. Everything melded perfectly together. This will definitely be one of our favorites!0 Helpful