Lentil and Roasted Sweet Potato Saladwith apples / feta / walnuts
This warm entree salad is surprisingly satisfying thanks to the layers of flavors provided by a few favorite cool weather ingredients.
Smarts: Use tart apples to balance the natural sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes.
- Walnut halves - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, cubed
- Apples - 1, sliced (preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs, peeled and cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Walnuts - If you’d like walnuts for the salad toasted, toast in a dry skillet over medium heat. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday night’s meal.) Whisk together shallots, vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), mustard, and honey. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Spread potatoes out on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 10 minutes covered. (Watch this video on roasting at high heat for tips.)
- Take potatoes out of oven and remove foil. Toss potatoes with olive oil (portion for potatoes) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes to oven and roast, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- If you’d like the lentils warm in the salad, heat them in the microwave for ~1 minute.
- When potatoes are finished, set half aside for Tuesday night’s meal.
- Assemble salads by tossing spinach with apples, feta, lentils, walnuts, and sweet potatoes. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking (reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled). Enjoy!
This meal has 51 reviews
Looooove roasted veggies in a winter salad. So so good.
This was surprisingly good, because I'm not the biggest spinach or sweet potato fan - but I'm so glad I ended up directly following the recipe! There was so much great flavor from the other ingredients that I didn't even notice the raw spinach taste at all, and the sweetness of the sweet potatoes was such a tasty element to the salad that complemented the sharp taste of the shallots and feta cheese.
I'll probably do a little less shallot in the dressing next time. But overall we loved this dish and loved how simple it was to prepare!
Love the salad!
Ate steak separately. Good combo.
The whole family loved this meal. The roasted sweet potato wasn't something we'd normally eat on a salad, but it was SO good. I might even make a little extra next time to have on hand for leftovers. In addition to the steak, I also used the marinade on some chicken breasts and it worked well.