Mushroom, Spinach, and Bacon Frittata
with thyme sweet potato wedges / spicy avocado crema
Packed with crisp bacon and nutritious spinach and mushrooms, this frittata from 2015 is an easy, satisfying way to round out the week.
Smarts: We're recommending sweet potato wedges to serve with this meal because they will cook at the same temperature and in a similar timeframe to the frittata, but you can use frozen sweet potato fries if you prefer.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Bacon - 4 strips
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Shallots / Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Jalapenos - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store shallots and sweet potatoes in separate containers. Combine garlic and jalapenos. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Make spicy avocado crema - Combine avocado, garlic, jalapenos, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and / or some more lime juice. If the crema is too thick, you can add a splash of water to thin it.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil and thyme leaves. Season with some salt and pepper and spread into one even layer on a dark sheet pan (for better browning). Roast in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until tender. Shake once midway through.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate. Keep ~2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of fat in the pan and drain the rest. Return pan to heat.
- Add shallots and saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, vinegar, and some salt to the hot skillet. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add spinach and saute just until spinach is wilted.
- Pour eggs into the skillet and crumble bacon over top. Stir until ingredients are evenly combined. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata. Serve sweet potato wedges with spicy avocado crema on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Cut back on calories and fat by using Turkey bacon, reduced fat feta and 7 egg whites + 2 eggs. Also doubled the spinach. Enjoyed it thoroughly and think I might use this regularly to prep breakfast for the week.0 Helpful
We don't eat pork so used diced chicken sausage instead -- it melded with the mushrooms really nicely (it was a lot of mushrooms, but it adds to the frittata's heartiness. I also added some thyme to the frittata. Tasty (though admittedly, I did throw in a little feta, too).0 Helpful
Very tasty, easy weeknight meal. I used frozen sweet potato fries and skipped the avocado crema because I was in a hurry, but all 3 of my kids ate this with no issues.0 Helpful
No complaints here! It was easy and delicious0 Helpful
Hard to go wrong with a frittata! Was fun to eat the frittata and sweet potatoes with our infant who is learning to feed herself.0 Helpful