Mushroom, Spinach, and Bacon Frittatawith thyme sweet potato wedges / spicy avocado crema
Packed with crisp bacon and nutritious spinach and mushrooms, this frittata from 2015 is an easy, satisfying way to round out the week.
Smarts: We're recommending sweet potato wedges to serve with this meal because they will cook at the same temperature and in a similar timeframe to the frittata, but you can use frozen sweet potato fries if you prefer.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Bacon - 4 strips
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced into wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Shallots / Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Jalapenos - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store shallots and sweet potatoes in separate containers. Combine garlic and jalapenos. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Make spicy avocado crema - Combine avocado, garlic, jalapenos, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and / or some more lime juice. If the crema is too thick, you can add a splash of water to thin it.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil and thyme leaves. Season with some salt and pepper and spread into one even layer on a dark sheet pan (for better browning). Roast in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until tender. Shake once midway through.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate. Keep ~2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of fat in the pan and drain the rest. Return pan to heat.
- Add shallots and saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, vinegar, and some salt to the hot skillet. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add spinach and saute just until spinach is wilted.
- Pour eggs into the skillet and crumble bacon over top. Stir until ingredients are evenly combined. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Slice frittata. Serve sweet potato wedges with spicy avocado crema on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
This meal has 25 reviews
Cut back on calories and fat by using Turkey bacon, reduced fat feta and 7 egg whites + 2 eggs. Also doubled the spinach. Enjoyed it thoroughly and think I might use this regularly to prep breakfast for the week.
We don't eat pork so used diced chicken sausage instead -- it melded with the mushrooms really nicely (it was a lot of mushrooms, but it adds to the frittata's heartiness. I also added some thyme to the frittata. Tasty (though admittedly, I did throw in a little feta, too).
Very tasty, easy weeknight meal. I used frozen sweet potato fries and skipped the avocado crema because I was in a hurry, but all 3 of my kids ate this with no issues.
No complaints here! It was easy and delicious
Hard to go wrong with a frittata! Was fun to eat the frittata and sweet potatoes with our infant who is learning to feed herself.