Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Sandwicheswith thyme sweet potato fries
Breakfast for dinner is an easy, fun way to round out the week. These egg sandwiches are packed with nutritious spinach and mushrooms and were first featured in 2015.
Smarts: We're recommending frozen sweet potato fries to accompany tonight's meal to save you time, but feel free to slice sweet potatoes into wedges to make your own.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Sweet potato fries, frozen - 20 oz
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Condiments - for dipping (like ketchup)
- Heat oven according to directions on package for sweet potato fries.
- Spread sweet potato fries out on a sheet pan. Pull thyme leaves off sprigs and sprinkle over top. Bake according to package directions.
- While sweet potato fries cook, heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of butter and then shallots. Saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and spinach and stir until spinach is wilted, ~2 minutes. Push mushrooms and spinach to one side of the pan (or transfer to a plate if your pan is too small) and reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add second part of butter to pan. When melted, pour in whisked eggs and scramble over low heat until cooked to your liking.
- Crumble feta over eggs and stir in mushrooms and spinach. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- Top rolls with egg mixture and serve with sweet potato fries and your favorite dipping sauce (like ketchup) on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 25 reviews
Always love the frittatas and we used frozen sweet potato fries to save time. Loved it!
Loved the avocado cream with fries as well- so glad took time to do the fries! Frittata was good.. took 35 min cook- .a preferred breakfast indeed but it worked for dinner tonight!
I do not really understand the point of a fritatta. I'd rather just make a scramble. Otherwise it was a great dish! The sweet potatoes fries turned out perfect!
The avocado crema was amazing!! It was awesome on the fries and I had enough leftover to use it with my roasted veggies for lunch! The whole family loved the meal!
We loved the avocado crema! My hubby broiled the sweet potato wedges after they finished cooking until they were perfectly crisp, and they turned out superb! We used white sweet potatoes (I always let my toddler choose which color we’ll try when we’re selecting our produce), and they had the perfect texture!
Skipped the sweet potato fries as I try to keep the carb counts lower. Loved the egg scramble with the feta. We used an English muffin as the roll. Yummy!