Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Sandwiches
with thyme sweet potato fries
Breakfast for dinner is an easy, fun way to round out the week. These egg sandwiches are packed with nutritious spinach and mushrooms and were first featured in 2015.
Smarts: We're recommending frozen sweet potato fries to accompany tonight's meal to save you time, but feel free to slice sweet potatoes into wedges to make your own.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 2 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Sweet potato fries, frozen - 20 oz
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Condiments - for dipping (like ketchup)
- Heat oven according to directions on package for sweet potato fries.
- Spread sweet potato fries out on a sheet pan. Pull thyme leaves off sprigs and sprinkle over top. Bake according to package directions.
- While sweet potato fries cook, heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of butter and then shallots. Saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and spinach and stir until spinach is wilted, ~2 minutes. Push mushrooms and spinach to one side of the pan (or transfer to a plate if your pan is too small) and reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add second part of butter to pan. When melted, pour in whisked eggs and scramble over low heat until cooked to your liking.
- Crumble feta over eggs and stir in mushrooms and spinach. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- Top rolls with egg mixture and serve with sweet potato fries and your favorite dipping sauce (like ketchup) on the side. Enjoy!
Paleo got the vegetarian scramble too as frittata would take too long. Avocado crema wasn’t as big a hit here- not enough jalapeño I think. Sweet potato fries were a big hit all around.0 Helpful
The frittata was good, the Avacado cream was amazing.0 Helpful
Pretty good. Used a bagel instead of a roll, and made a garlic aioli to dip the fries0 Helpful
Very good. I was on the fence about the cream, but I am very glad I made it.0 Helpful
The egg scramble was really good! Nice blend of ingredients. I was worried it might not be enough for two of us and added an extra egg ... but we ended up having more than enough. Substituted a whole wheat English muffin for the sandwich roll. Made the frozen fries per the original recipe, but I think I'd prefer to try the wedges with the avocado crema if I make this again. Overall this was yummy, filling, and easy to whip up on a busy night.0 Helpful
Meh-- it was an egg sandwich. Good for breakfast but wished it was more for dinner. Jealous of the paleo people who got an avocado crema!0 Helpful