Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Sandwiches
with thyme sweet potato fries
Smarts: We're recommending frozen sweet potato fries to accompany tonight's meal to save you time, but feel free to slice sweet potatoes into wedges to make your own.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 8
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Baby spinach - 2 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Sweet potato fries, frozen - 20 oz
- Thyme leaves - 1 tsp
- Condiments - for dipping (like ketchup)
- Heat oven according to directions on package for sweet potato fries.
- Spread sweet potato fries out on a sheet pan. Pull thyme leaves off sprigs and sprinkle over top. Bake according to package directions.
- While sweet potato fries cook, heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of butter and then shallots. Saute until softened, ~1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and spinach and stir until spinach is wilted, ~2 minutes. Push mushrooms and spinach to one side of the pan (or transfer to a plate if your pan is too small) and reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add second part of butter to pan. When melted, pour in whisked eggs and scramble over low heat until cooked to your liking.
- Crumble feta over eggs and stir in mushrooms and spinach. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- Top rolls with egg mixture and serve with sweet potato fries and your favorite dipping sauce (like ketchup) on the side. Enjoy!
Cut back on calories and fat by using Turkey bacon, reduced fat feta and 7 egg whites + 2 eggs. Also doubled the spinach. Enjoyed it thoroughly and think I might use this regularly to prep breakfast for the week.0 Helpful
We don't eat pork so used diced chicken sausage instead -- it melded with the mushrooms really nicely (it was a lot of mushrooms, but it adds to the frittata's heartiness. I also added some thyme to the frittata. Tasty (though admittedly, I did throw in a little feta, too).0 Helpful
Very tasty, easy weeknight meal. I used frozen sweet potato fries and skipped the avocado crema because I was in a hurry, but all 3 of my kids ate this with no issues.0 Helpful
No complaints here! It was easy and delicious0 Helpful
Hard to go wrong with a frittata! Was fun to eat the frittata and sweet potatoes with our infant who is learning to feed herself.0 Helpful