Mediterranean Wraps with Halloumi
with bell peppers / tzatziki
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Onions, red - 1/2, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 2, diced
- Cheese, Halloumi - 8 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm cubes (sub feta)
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz, halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Flat breads or pitas - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mint, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Lemons / Onions / Bell peppers / Mint - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tzatziki - Dice cucumbers and chop garlic. Combine cucumbers, garlic, mint, and yogurt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Rinse with water to remove excess salt from halloumi. Slice into 1” /2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toast flat breads or pitas on a sheet pan for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add halloumi and saute until halloumi is starting to turn golden brown in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. (Note: if using feta as a sub, skip this step and add feta with vinegar in Make Step #6.)
- Add bell peppers with cumin, paprika, and oregano. Saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until peppers are slightly softened.
- Add vinegar and saute for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble wraps with halloumi and red peppers, tzatziki, tomatoes, lettuce, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Drizzle remainder of tzatziki over tomatoes and lettuce that cannot fit into wraps and enjoy as a side salad!
Delicious for everyone! I shredded my cucumber with a cheese grater for the Tzatziki—learned to do this from a Greek friend—and added lemon pepper instead of mint. I used garlic powder and didn’t have the problem of it being too garlicky. I love how easy this was as a way to use chicken leftovers.0 Helpful
Loved the halloumi / peppers / onions mix! I added the cherry tomatoes into the cooked mix too. Pleasant light flavor to that veggie / cheese mix -- could be used in so many ways! The tzatziki sauce was inedibly garlicky. Maybe use garlic powder or roast the garlic next time?0 Helpful
With a little prep this came together quickly. I did not like the tzatziki sauce though, much too garlic.0 Helpful
It was an easy, yummy, and pretty healthy meal! Will differently make again!0 Helpful
So easy and so delicious.0 Helpful
Really messy but super yummy!0 Helpful