Red Wine Braised Carrots and Lentils
with mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes boil, place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and carrots to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While carrots simmer, use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Return to carrots and remove lid. Stir in lentils and continue cooking until lentils are warmed through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, chop avocados. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers, avocados, and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve carrots and lentils over mashed potatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This was too greasy for us and needed a lot longer to get tender. I did 6 hrs at high in the crock pot and it could have used more, but we did 8 services so I think the time may need to be adjusted if using the larger amount of beef.0 Helpful
Did this in the Instant Pot, 35 mins with a natural release and left it in warm mode for at least 30 mins. Good flavor and a lovely meal, but meat wasn't as tender as I was expecting. Going to try slow cooking next time.0 Helpful
Tasty, but very fatty.0 Helpful
Very nice comfort food. We all loved the spicy kick apart from my daughter so I will probably have to leave out the pepper flakes next time.0 Helpful
The flavors of the lentils and carrots were excellent! A tasty meal, although I don't know that we'll make it often to avoid eating too many mashed potatoes.0 Helpful
I don't like lentils or any type of cooked carrots. I am also tired of stupid sales. And yet this meal was so bleeping delicious!! I loved it all. Best salad ever!0 Helpful