Red Wine Braised Carrots and Lentilswith mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes boil, place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and carrots to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While carrots simmer, use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Return to carrots and remove lid. Stir in lentils and continue cooking until lentils are warmed through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, chop avocados. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers, avocados, and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve carrots and lentils over mashed potatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
I used my instant pot and followed instructions for low slow cooking. Meat was tough and dryish. From what I’ve read I should have slow cooked for much less time than the recipe directs. What a bummer.0 Helpful
recipe was great, but didn’t love the cut of meat. lots of bone and fat, not enough meat.0 Helpful
It was good but the meat with the bone was a little fatty. I made extra potatoes which was a good thing. Maybe next time I'd make it in the dutch oven instead of the the slow cooker so I could reduce the sauce. It needed a little flavor boost.0 Helpful
Meat and potatoes husband and daughter loved, I thought it was just okay as it didn’t feel super healthy. However, I added the paleo sweet potato, baked with broth and butter and that was delicious for me.0 Helpful
made on the stovetop/ oven for a dinner party, it was a big hit!0 Helpful