Red Wine Braised Carrots and Lentilswith mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes boil, place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and carrots to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While carrots simmer, use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Return to carrots and remove lid. Stir in lentils and continue cooking until lentils are warmed through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, chop avocados. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers, avocados, and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve carrots and lentils over mashed potatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This meal has 51 reviews
Loved the mashed potatoes and the salad, Not a huge fan of the ribs though.
This dish was amazing. Next time I will add some more salt to the slow cooker while it's simmering and chop the onions and carrots a bit larger than I did this time around. I didn't think I was going to love it when it first came out, but after I added a bit of salt, it was amazing. Loved having a little salad on the side, too.
Last time I used stew beef and, as I suspected, short ribs are WAY better. Doesn’t even compare. Chopped the carrots and onions into fairly large pieces to keep them from getting over cooked. Delicious!
Huge hit! Made it in the oven.
lacked strong flavors.
I loved this recipe so much! I threw it all in the crock pot in the morning and went skiing for the day, when I got home the aroma in my house was amazing! This is the perfect meal after a day of skiing. It was warm and filling, the meat fell off the bone and was like butter in my mouth. With an added glass (or two) of red wine it made the perfect end to the day. Loved everything about it. Thanks Cooksmarts!