Red Wine Braised Carrots and Lentilswith mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned green lentils)
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Wine, red - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions and carrots in one container. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- While potatoes boil, place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and carrots to heated oil. Saute until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While carrots simmer, use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Return to carrots and remove lid. Stir in lentils and continue cooking until lentils are warmed through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, chop avocados. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers, avocados, and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve carrots and lentils over mashed potatoes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
The flavour are delicious! I did find the cut ofeat way too fatty. I would make it again with a leaner cut.0 Helpful
So i'm not a salad person. I did how ever use the dressing and roasted me some zucchini chunks in the oven. The lentils I couldn't find already cooked so I had to buy them and cook them. As far as the carrots go, I cut up a whole pound skipped the onions. and half way though I realized I was using red wine vinegar so its got a zing to the taste. and for the mashed potatoes who knew putting plain yogurt in them would have made them tasty like they are. I used the amount listed in the recipe but I think next time I'll add more potatoes or just larger ones because after dividing it up into 4 there was alot more carrots and lentils then mashed potatoes..0 Helpful
This was delicious. Who knew lentils could be so tasty? I would double the mashed potatoes next time, as we couldn't get enough and ran low in the leftovers.0 Helpful
Tasty and easy way to do the ribs.0 Helpful
Cooked short ribs from frozen using the Instant Pot, and subbed in different sides that I had on hand. Very flavorful, although the meat wasn't as tender as I'd hoped.0 Helpful
Very good. Loved being able to use the slow cooker. Only thing I would change when making again is using less onion. Wife is not crazy about too much. Just personal preference.0 Helpful