Slow Cooker (or not) Red Wine Braised Short Ribswith mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
This elegant meal was featured on Valentine's Day in 2017 and is great for cold winter nights. Braising the short ribs "low and slow" in the slow cooker or Dutch oven results in meat that is fall-off-the-bone tender with very little hands-on time.
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Beef, bone-in short ribs - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 1 cup (sub any low-sodium stock)
- Wine, red - 1 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 4 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow-cook short ribs - Season short ribs with some salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then short ribs to heated oil. Sear short ribs on all sides until brown, ~8 minutes total. Transfer short ribs to the bowl of a slow-cooker. Add onions, carrots, garlic, stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes to slow-cooker. Cover and cook until meat is very tender and falling off the bone, 7 to 8 hours on low (4 to 5 hours on high). (Note: If you prefer not to use a slow-cooker, you can also prepare the short ribs using a combination of the stovetop / oven. Sear short ribs in cooking oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to a 350F / 177C oven. Cook, covered, until rib meat is tender and falling off the bone, 2 ½ to 3 hours.)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- About 20 minutes before serving, take the lid off the slow-cooker. Whisk cornstarch into water and pour over ribs. Stir gently (the short ribs will be very tender, but we like to keep the bones inside them for serving). Turn slow-cooker on high, put the lid back on and allow the ribs to continue cooking until you are ready to serve.
- While ribs finish cooking, place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove short ribs and vegetables from slow cooker. Serve over mashed potatoes with some of the cooking liquid spooned over top. Enjoy salad on the side.
This meal has 46 reviews
I don't like lentils or any type of cooked carrots. I am also tired of stupid sales. And yet this meal was so bleeping delicious!! I loved it all. Best salad ever!
The flavour are delicious! I did find the cut ofeat way too fatty. I would make it again with a leaner cut.
So i'm not a salad person. I did how ever use the dressing and roasted me some zucchini chunks in the oven. The lentils I couldn't find already cooked so I had to buy them and cook them. As far as the carrots go, I cut up a whole pound skipped the onions. and half way though I realized I was using red wine vinegar so its got a zing to the taste. and for the mashed potatoes who knew putting plain yogurt in them would have made them tasty like they are. I used the amount listed in the recipe but I think next time I'll add more potatoes or just larger ones because after dividing it up into 4 there was alot more carrots and lentils then mashed potatoes..
This was delicious. Who knew lentils could be so tasty? I would double the mashed potatoes next time, as we couldn't get enough and ran low in the leftovers.
Tasty and easy way to do the ribs.
Cooked short ribs from frozen using the Instant Pot, and subbed in different sides that I had on hand. Very flavorful, although the meat wasn't as tender as I'd hoped.