Slow Cooker (or not) Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
with mashed potatoes / mixed greens salad
This elegant meal was featured on Valentine's Day in 2017 and is great for cold winter nights. Braising the short ribs "low and slow" in the slow cooker or Dutch oven results in meat that is fall-off-the-bone tender with very little hands-on time.
- Potatoes, russet - 1 lb, peeled and cubed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Beef, bone-in short ribs - 1 1/2 lbs
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 1 cup (sub any low-sodium stock)
- Wine, red - 1 cup (sub stock)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 4 sprigs
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow-cook short ribs - Season short ribs with some salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then short ribs to heated oil. Sear short ribs on all sides until brown, ~8 minutes total. Transfer short ribs to the bowl of a slow-cooker. Add onions, carrots, garlic, stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes to slow-cooker. Cover and cook until meat is very tender and falling off the bone, 7 to 8 hours on low (4 to 5 hours on high). (Note: If you prefer not to use a slow-cooker, you can also prepare the short ribs using a combination of the stovetop / oven. Sear short ribs in cooking oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to a 350F / 177C oven. Cook, covered, until rib meat is tender and falling off the bone, 2 ½ to 3 hours.)
- Bell peppers - Thinly slice peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube. Soak in water if not using right away to prevent them from turning brown.
- About 20 minutes before serving, take the lid off the slow-cooker. Whisk cornstarch into water and pour over ribs. Stir gently (the short ribs will be very tender, but we like to keep the bones inside them for serving). Turn slow-cooker on high, put the lid back on and allow the ribs to continue cooking until you are ready to serve.
- While ribs finish cooking, place potatoes into a saucepan and cover with cold water and some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until potatoes can be easily pierced by a knife. Drain and let sit in a colander for ~5 minutes to let the steam escape (this creates creamier potatoes vs. liquidy potatoes).
- Use a masher to mash steamed potatoes with yogurt and butter. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss bell peppers and mixed greens in vinaigrette.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove short ribs and vegetables from slow cooker. Serve over mashed potatoes with some of the cooking liquid spooned over top. Enjoy salad on the side.
This was too greasy for us and needed a lot longer to get tender. I did 6 hrs at high in the crock pot and it could have used more, but we did 8 services so I think the time may need to be adjusted if using the larger amount of beef.0 Helpful
Did this in the Instant Pot, 35 mins with a natural release and left it in warm mode for at least 30 mins. Good flavor and a lovely meal, but meat wasn't as tender as I was expecting. Going to try slow cooking next time.0 Helpful
Tasty, but very fatty.0 Helpful
Very nice comfort food. We all loved the spicy kick apart from my daughter so I will probably have to leave out the pepper flakes next time.0 Helpful
The flavors of the lentils and carrots were excellent! A tasty meal, although I don't know that we'll make it often to avoid eating too many mashed potatoes.0 Helpful
I don't like lentils or any type of cooked carrots. I am also tired of stupid sales. And yet this meal was so bleeping delicious!! I loved it all. Best salad ever!0 Helpful