Mushroom and Green Pepper Melts
with roasted broccoli
Mushrooms and green bell peppers are a classic combination. Saute them just enough to be tender but still have a bit of crunch in these hearty hoagie melts.
Smarts: The original version of this meal features a simple tart-sweet "Malibu sauce" which makes a great sandwich spread that perfectly complements the flavors in these melts.
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz, shredded or sliced (sub white cheddar)
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hoagie rolls - 4
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 3 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese / Bell peppers / Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Malibu sauce - Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 350C / 177F. Set out two sheet pans.
- Toss broccoli and garlic with oil (portion for broccoli). Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on the first sheet pan. Transfer pan to the oven and roast broccoli until tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- While broccoli is roasting, heat a skillet or wok with oil (portion for melts) over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and mushrooms and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place hoagie rolls, cut-side up, on second sheet pan. Spread both sides with Malibu sauce. Fill rolls with bell peppers and mushrooms and top with cheese. Place rolls in the oven and toast until cheese melts, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve mushroom and green pepper melts with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
Loved how little prep there was, and such a yummy meal too! I would double the broccoli and the sauce next time.0 Helpful
Everyone enjoyed this0 Helpful
Easy and delicious. Would definitely make again. Loved the sauce!0 Helpful
Chicken was good. Loved the roasted broccoli. Sauce was ok, not my favorite sauce.0 Helpful
Chicken was very good and moist! I used white cheddar cheese, instead of swiss cheese for the topping.0 Helpful
So yummy! 10 stars0 Helpful