with roasted broccoli
This dish came in as a request from several community members and once we started testing it, we could see why! The paleo version of the chicken is lightly breaded with almond meal and served with sliced ham on top. The honey mustard sauce served on the side makes the dish.
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Egg yolks - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Almond meal - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ham, deli-sliced (opt) - 4 slices
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves , thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make honey mustard - Whisk together mustard and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken breasts in half to thin. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prepare two breading stations - 1) Whisk together egg yolks and water in a mixing bowl. 2) Combine almond meal, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder in a plastic bag or shallow baking dish.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 350C / 177F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or brush it with some oil to prevent sticking. (Note: The sheet pan will need to hold both the chicken and broccoli. If it won’t easily fit on one, prepare a second pan.)
- Toss broccoli and garlic with oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the sheet pan.
- Bread chicken by coating each piece in egg yolk / water mixture and then in almond meal mixture. Spread out on second half of the sheet pan.
- Bake chicken and broccoli until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring broccoli with a spatula halfway through cooking. (Note: If broccoli finishes cooking before chicken, transfer it to a serving dish and return chicken to the oven.)
- Remove pan from the oven and turn on the oven’s broiler. Transfer broccoli to a serving dish, leaving chicken on the sheet pan.
- Top (or wrap, if your slices of ham are large) each piece of chicken with a slice of ham. Place chicken under the broiler just until ham is warmed through and golden brown on the edges, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve chicken with honey mustard and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!