with roasted broccoli
This lightly breaded and baked chicken with ham and melted cheese on top was a request from several community members and once we started testing it, we could see why! The simple tart-sweet Malibu sauce served on the side makes the dish.
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz , shredded or sliced (sub white cheddar)
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Egg yolks - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 3/4 cup (sub any gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 slices
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 3 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves , thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese / Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Malibu sauce - Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken breasts in half to thin. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prepare two breading stations - 1) Whisk together egg yolks and water in a mixing bowl. 2) Combine panko, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder in a plastic bag or shallow baking dish.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 350C / 177F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or brush it with some oil to prevent sticking. (Note: The sheet pan will need to hold both the chicken and broccoli. If it won’t easily fit on one, prepare a second pan.)
- Toss broccoli and garlic with oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the sheet pan.
- Bread chicken by coating each piece in egg yolk / water mixture and then in panko mixture. Spread out on second half of the sheet pan.
- Bake chicken and broccoli until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring broccoli with a spatula halfway through cooking. (Note: If broccoli finishes cooking before chicken, transfer it to a serving dish and return chicken to the oven.)
- Remove pan from the oven and turn on the oven’s broiler. Transfer broccoli to a serving dish, leaving chicken on the sheet pan.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and sprinkle cheese on top. Place chicken under the broiler just until cheese is melted, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken with Malibu sauce and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!