Malibu Chickenwith roasted broccoli
This lightly breaded and baked chicken with ham and melted cheese on top was a request from several community members and once we started testing it, we could see why! The simple tart-sweet Malibu sauce served on the side makes the dish.
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz, shredded or sliced (sub white cheddar)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Egg yolks - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 slices
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 3 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese / Broccoli / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Malibu sauce - Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken breasts in half to thin. Tenderize with a fork and season lightly with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prepare two breading stations - 1) Whisk together egg yolks and water in a mixing bowl. 2) Combine panko, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder in a plastic bag or shallow baking dish.
- Heat oven to 350C / 177F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or brush it with some oil to prevent sticking. (Note: The sheet pan will need to hold both the chicken and broccoli. If it won’t easily fit on one, prepare a second pan.)
- Toss broccoli and garlic with oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the sheet pan.
- Bread chicken by coating each piece in egg yolk / water mixture and then in panko mixture. Spread out on second half of the sheet pan.
- Bake chicken and broccoli until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring broccoli with a spatula halfway through cooking. (Note: If broccoli finishes cooking before chicken, transfer it to a serving dish and return chicken to the oven.)
- Remove pan from the oven and turn on the oven’s broiler. Transfer broccoli to a serving dish, leaving chicken on the sheet pan.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and sprinkle cheese on top. Place chicken under the broiler just until cheese is melted, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Serve chicken with Malibu sauce and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 17 reviews
It makes you feel like you’re eating something naughty when really the calories aren’t too bad! Yummy in your tummy!
Loved the flavor. Will make again!
So good. I used thighs- they needed 30-40 minutes instead of the breast cooking time. I also steamed the broccoli in the microwave to start and then roasted it.
I ran out of time to make the sauce, so I'll want to do that next time. I got good reviews from everyone (though my 6yo took off the cheese!). Easy to make and tasty - this will go in the rotation, I think!
Really good and easy. We microwaved the broccoli instead of roasting.