with ham, spinach, and tater tot egg bake
Smarts: We couldn't resist adding the option to top the egg bake with frozen tater tots. It's a fun addition, but feel free to skip it if you prefer.
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 cups
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 2 1/2 cups
- Butter - 3 Tbsp, melted
- Maple syrup (opt) - for serving
- Ham, deli-sliced - 8 slices, chopped
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz, shredded (sub white cheddar)
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped
- Eggs - 6
- Milk - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Tater tots, frozen (opt) - 20
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Ham / Cheese / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs (portion for the egg bake) with milk and some salt and pepper.
- Prep pancake batter - In one bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together eggs (portion for the pancakes) and buttermilk. Melt butter in the microwave and add to eggs / buttermilk while whisking. Keep dry and wet ingredients separate until just before cooking.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add ham and parsley and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour eggs over ham. Add cheese and spinach and stir to combine everything. Top with tater tots (if using). Transfer to oven and cook until a knife comes out cleanly, 18 to 22 minutes.
- When egg bake is nearly finished, combine wet and dry pancake ingredients. Stir just until no dry spots remain.
- Place a griddle (or large skillet) for the pancakes over medium heat.
- Brush griddle with some butter or oil. Add pancake batter in 1/3 cup / 80 mL portions, leaving space between the pancakes as they cook. Cook until bubbles form in the batter and pancakes are golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook on the other side. Continue to cook in batches until all pancakes are finished.
- Slice egg bake and serve with some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy pancakes on the side with maple syrup.
I put onions, mushrooms and zucchini in my egg bake. It was so yummy! The pancakes were fluffy and delicious, added a little vanilla.1 Helpful
I thought this was 5 stars but most of the kids weren’t a fan of the frittata. I didn’t expect them to be though. My 5 year old said the pancakes were like plain ones but way better. It made a ton of pancakes so if you have a smaller family you could cut the pancake recipe in half or just know you have some to freeze for later. I put a few of the tater tots on top as suggested and it was really good!0 Helpful
Family loved it! Served with fruit and without pancakes. Sautéed a leek first then added ham with thyme. Used a 12” skillet and seemed like not enough food so added more egg. Scattered hash brown shreds on top. Served with tomatoes on top- Nice easy meal.0 Helpful
Quick and easy to put together and get on the table. The most perfect pancakes I have ever made. They spread and cooked perfectly. We really liked the bake as well. Next time I may add some green chile to the mixture.0 Helpful
I made this for an early Father's Day brunch and it was well received! He doesn't care for quiche but he happily gobbled this egg bake up. I added pureed banana and cinnamon to the pancakes but that's just what the kiddos prefer. Definitely will make this again.0 Helpful
We loved this. My 3-year-old enjoyed helping to make the pancakes, and she even ate two of them! I agree with other reviewers about using a 10" skillet instead. I'd also chop the spinach next time. I wasn't sure about the tater tots, but I'm glad I added them -- they gave the dish a really nice flavor. The ham, egg, and spinach bake was excellent the next day, too. I'm eating it for lunch right now. :-) I will definitely be making this one part of our regular lineup.0 Helpful
Really good, adding to favorites! Next time I'd use my 10" skillet instead - 12" was too big. I'd also cut up the spinach first. Plus add mushrooms because yum. Pancakes were so good!0 Helpful