Chicken Stew with White Beans and Chard
with balsamic vinaigrette side salad
Chicken Stew with White Beans and Chard:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1/4 cup
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Apples, preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith - 1 , chopped
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Sunflower seeds - 2 Tbsp (sub any nuts)
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Combine onions, carrots, and garlic. Store parsley separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard - Chop chard, keeping leaves and stems separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute just until the outside of the chicken is cooked, ~3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and return pan to the heat.
- To the hot pan add onions, carrots, garlic, and chard stems with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add parsley and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add flour and thyme and stir for ~1 minute, until no white spots of flour remain.
- Add stock, bay leaves, and peas (no need to defrost them first) and bring to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in chicken, beans, and chard leaves and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer stew on low for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together and the chicken cook through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- When stew is nearly finished simmering, toss mixed greens with apples, sunflower seeds, and vinaigrette (reserve half the vinaigrette if doubled).
- Serve stew with salad on the side. Enjoy!