Chickpea and Bok Choy Noodle Saute
and roasted brussels sprouts / miso butter
This savory noodle saute with bok choy, chickpeas, and deliciously addictive miso butter served with a side of roasted brussels sprouts is a weeknight friendly meal you can feel good about.
Smarts:Miso is fermented soybean paste; look for it in the ethnic food aisle.
- Noodles, any Asian variety like Ramen or lo mein - 10 oz
- Bok choy, baby - 8 oz, sliced (sub regular bok choy)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro - 2 tsp, chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Slice in half. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Chop bok choy. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead.
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spread brussels sprouts on the top. Cover tightly on top with foil and steam on the lower rack of the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover brussels sprouts. Toss with cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return pan to the oven and roast until brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- When brussels sprouts are nearly finished roasting, soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in miso, lime juice (portion for butter), and cilantro. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add some oil and then bok choy to heated oil. Saute until bok choy is nearly tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add noodles, beans, and miso butter. Saute until everything is heated through and butter is melted.
- Drizzle sesame oil and squeeze lime juice (portion for brussels sprouts) over brussels sprouts.
- Serve noodle saute with brussels sprouts on the side. Enjoy!
Was kind of bland. Not sure if we did something wrong? Kids liked it, though.0 Helpful
Fun twist on a traditional meal. Easy to make and very flavorful!0 Helpful
The vegetarian version of this was delicious- and the covered/roasted Brussels sprouts were the best we've had.0 Helpful
I didn't tenderize the steak well enough so it was pretty tough. But the flavors were amazing. I made broccoli and sweet potato according the the instructions and they turned out great. I want to find more things to put this miso butter on.0 Helpful
Short prep time.use extra miso butter0 Helpful
The Miso Butter is EVERYTHING!! I'm thinking ahead to summer and how it would probably taste good with corn on the cob too.0 Helpful