Sheet Pan Skirt Steak with Miso Butterand roasted brussels sprouts / potatoes
A delicious steak and veggie dinner ready in under an hour that uses just one sheet pan? Yes please! Top everything with miso butter and you'll see why this homemade condiment is a community favorite.
Smarts:Miso is fermented soybean paste; look for it in the ethnic food aisle.
- Steak, skirt, flank, or hanger - 1 1/4 lbs
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro - 2 tsp, chopped
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Potatoes, any type - 1 lb, cubed
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Brussels sprouts - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Slice in half. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - Combine steak with soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil (portion for steak). Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees. Place one oven rack about 6” / 15 cm from the broiler. Place another rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spread brussels sprouts and potatoes on the top. Cover tightly on top with foil and steam on the lower rack of the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover brussels sprouts / potatoes. Toss with cooking oil and season with some salt and pepper.
- Return pan to the oven and roast until brussels sprouts are dark golden brown and potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Remove vegetables (leave the foil on the bottom of the pan; it will help prevent the steak from sticking). Set brussels sprouts and potatoes aside. Drizzle sesame oil and squeeze lime juice (portions for brussels sprouts / potatoes) over top. Cover to keep warm.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler (use the high setting if available).
- Place steak on the same sheet pan that was used to cook the brussels sprouts (discard marinade). Season generously on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Broil steak on one side until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked to your liking. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~5 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~7 minutes). (Note: Be careful when flipping the steak. It is so close to the heating element that it will sizzle and pop as it cooks.)
- Remove steak and allow to rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While steak rests, soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in miso, lime juice (portion for butter), and cilantro. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce.
- Slice steak and serve with brussels sprouts and potatoes on the side. Serve miso butter over everything. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
Short prep time
The Miso Butter is EVERYTHING!! I'm thinking ahead to summer and how it would probably taste good with corn on the cob too.
My potatoes and brussels sprouts were a bit bland on their own, but the miso butter and steak were great
Great meal. First time having Miso butter. LOVED IT!!!
I love everything about this recipe. I've already added it to my favourites.
Very flavorful meal. Going onto my favorite’s list. Miso butter was so yummy. Broiling the steak did set off one of our smoke alarms though. Lol