Sausage and Spinach Soup
with baba ganoush / baby carrots
Sausage and Spinach Soup:
- Carrots - 8 oz , sliced into rounds
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 12 oz
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
Baby Carrots and Baba Ganoush:
- Carrots, baby - 10 oz
- Baba ganoush - 3/4 cup
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions, and garlic. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Italian seasonings, thyme, tomato paste, and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid) and stock. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach.
- Taste and season soup with some salt, pepper, and a splash of vinegar if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with carrots and baba ganoush (for dipping) on the side. Enjoy!