Thai Tofu Curry
with rice / wok-fried broccoli
Thai Tofu Curry:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Zucchini - 12 oz , cubed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 to 3 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves , thinly sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Combine onions and bell peppers. Store garlic and broccoli in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then tofu. Saute on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add onions and bell peppers to tofu. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add curry paste and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute (note: if you like spice, use the higher end of the range for curry paste).
- Add in zucchini, coconut milk, stock, and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While curry cooks, heat a wok with sesame oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and garlic and continue to saute until vegetables are tender and water has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Remove broccoli from heat and season with some salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice (portion for broccoli) over top.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Season curry with lime juice (portion for curry) and some salt.
- Serve curry over rice with cilantro on top. Enjoy broccoli on the side.