Thai Curry Mussels
with rice / wok-fried broccoli and zucchini
Our recipe for Thai curry mussels is spicy, creamy, and oh so delicious over rice. This restaurant quality meal is weeknight friendly and ready in 40 minutes.
Smarts: The spiciness of the curry paste may vary brand to brand; use as little or as much as you prefer.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Onions, medium - 1/2, sliced
- Mussels - 1 1/2 lbs, cleaned and debearded (most come debearded by the fishmonger)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 to 3 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, thinly sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Cube zucchini. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard if not done by your fishmonger. Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. It’s rare to find mussles that have not been debearded, but if you need to do this yourself, here’s a demo from The Kitchn. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry paste and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute (note: if you like spice, use the higher end of the range for curry paste).
- Add mussels, coconut milk, stock, and soy sauce. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until mussels have opened up.
- While mussels cook, heat a wok with sesame oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and zucchini and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and garlic and continue to saute until vegetables are tender and water has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Remove vegetables from heat and season with some salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice (portion for vegetables) over top.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Discard any mussels that don’t open up by the end of cooking time. Top the remaining mussels with cilantro and lime juice (portion for mussels).
- Serve mussels with rice and vegetables on the side. (We like to serve the mussels and cooking liquid over rice.) Enjoy!
Substituted shrimp for the mussels and really liked how it turned out. The curry is delicious.0 Helpful
My whole family enjoyed this - delicious. I added some onion to the vegetables, as some reviewers said it was bland (I thought it was good). I also added fish sauce and a little cornstarch to the broth so it wouldn’t be as thin. We used some naan bread to soak up the extra broth.0 Helpful
This was fun to make !!! Family loved it !! first time making Mussels - turned out easy and fun. it was thin, as reviews said, but i think its meant to be that way. Really good. going to make again. Thank you0 Helpful
Added tempe instead of tofu. Used the max amount of curry paste and it still tasted thin. Didn't mind soupiness, but would have preferred it to be more flavorful. Salt & lime always help.0 Helpful
We enjoyed this meal!0 Helpful
I made it with tofu instead of mussels, and light on the curry paste so that my little ones would try it. I agree with other reviewers that it was thin, but whenever I've had curry at restaurants, it is thin, so I wasn't bothered by that. My 4 yo liked it and asked for more "juice". And even if she hasn't, at least there was rice for her.0 Helpful