Miso-Maple Crusted Portobello Mushrooms
with roasted vegetables and chickpeas / brown rice
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Parsnips - 12 oz, sliced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, green and white parts chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked brown - 3/4 cup
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Brown rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check brown rice at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's tender and has absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Parsnips / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove and discard stems. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make miso-maple butter - Melt butter in the microwave, 30 to 60 seconds. Whisk ginger, miso, and maple syrup into butter.
- Prep miso-maple panko - Mix miso-maple butter (portion for the mushrooms) with panko.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss carrots and parsnips with cooking oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place portobellos on a second sheet pan cap side down (or stem-side up, even though the stems are gone). Fill portobellos with panko mixture. Bake until mushrooms are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add beans to carrots and parsnips.
- Toss roasted carrots, parsnips, and beans with miso-maple butter (portion for the vegetables) and green onions right out of the oven.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve mushrooms with rice and vegetables on the side. Enjoy!
My husband and I LOVED this dish! The carrots were so yummy! Definitely a keeper.0 Helpful
I made this with salmon instead of chicken and it worked out great. The carrots may have stolen the show, though. They were delicious. I would definitely make this again.0 Helpful
I absolutely loved this dish. It was so gorgeous and delicious! However, we had to double the amount of panko mix, as the original batch barely coated one mushroom. Also, it made sooo many veggies! You could probably cut down just a bit. The flavors were incredible, though, and this is definitely going down as one of my faves ever.0 Helpful
We loved everything about this meal0 Helpful
Great meal although my chicken was a bit dry.0 Helpful
The most flavourful mushrooms ever!0 Helpful