Miso-Maple Crusted Chicken Breastswith roasted carrots / brown rice
Our community loves miso-maple butter because it is great on everything! We add it to roasted carrots and crisp panko crusted chicken breast in this quick dinner that was last featured in our meal service in 2017.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs
- Green onions - 3 stalks, green and white parts chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked brown - 3/4 cup
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Miso-maple butter (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Brown rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check brown rice at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's tender and has absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Lemons - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice in half. Cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and then flatten with a meat tenderizer, until about 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make miso-maple butter - Melt butter in the microwave, 30 to 60 seconds. Whisk ginger, miso, and maple syrup into butter.
- Prep miso-maple panko - Mix miso-maple butter (portion for the chicken) with panko.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss carrots with cooking oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Place chicken on a second sheet pan. Cover chicken with panko mixture. Bake chicken until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss roasted carrots with miso-maple butter (portion for the carrots) and green onions right out of the oven.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and carrots over rice with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
Jess rather liked this, and she could make it herself!
Big winner. Loved the flavor of the chicken and carrots with the aminos butter. I am always afraid of chicken drying out when baking without a sauce but they were juicy and delicious. Plus super simple to put together and cook. Will make again for sure!
Bonus points for being super quick! We wanted double the sauce. We would reduce the butter slightly next time and double the miso.
I almost skipped this but came back to it when looking for a quick meal and I'm so glad I did! The miso butter was delicious, so I loved having it on both the chicken and carrots. The topping didn't come out super crispy on my chicken, so I might finish it under the broiler next time. I also really liked the generous serving of carrots - sometimes I have to increase the amount of vegetables in the sides, but this was perfect!
So good. I replaced half the miso with umboshi paste. Cooked the chicken in the air fryer to make it extra crispy.
My husband has a milk allergy so I substituted with mayo. It was still delicious and you couldn’t taste the mayo at all. So yummy!