Slow Cooker (or not) Indian Chili with Ground Turkey
and tortilla chips
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Indian Curry Spice Mix (ingredients listed separately) - 5 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Tortilla chips, gluten-free - for serving
- Make spice mix - Combine garam masala, curry powder, cumin, ground coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store onions and sweet potatoes in their own containers. Combine garlic and ginger in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- If making chili in the slow cooker: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add turkey and spice mix. Cook turkey, breaking it apart as it cooks, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, and stock. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions and combine green and white parts. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- If cooking chili on the stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add turkey and spice mix. Cook turkey, breaking apart as it cooks, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, and stock. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer chili until sweet potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- Stir beans into chili and continue cooking (in slow cooker or on stovetop) until beans are heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Taste chili and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chili with yogurt and green onions on top. Enjoy chips on the side.
I used peas instead of green peppers because that's what I had and loved it!0 Helpful
I doubled the spices in the chili and it was delicious! Very filling!0 Helpful
Hubby and I really enjoyed it. Wasn’t my daughter’s favorite. I’d make it again!0 Helpful
It was more soupy than chili-ish, and I think my spices need a refresh, but this was pretty good.0 Helpful
Made the original recipe but substituted veggie crumbles for ground turkey, used the slow cooker. It was really good, we hosted friends for dinner and they liked it, too. There were no leftovers because we ate every last bite! The toasted naan chips really were a nice addition, don't skip those.0 Helpful
Yum! We loved this. We added more of the spices, as we usually do for these recipes, and subbed tofu for paneer. A tasty, flavorful, hearty meal that we'll definitely make again.0 Helpful