Slow Cooker (or not) Indian Chili with Ground Turkey
and naan chips
For a creative twist on chili, we use an Indian flavor profile with garam masala, curry powder, and fresh ginger. Served with naan chips and a dollop of yogurt, you'll love this cozy meal whether you choose to make it with the slow cooker, Instant Pot, or stove top!
Indian Curry Spice Mix:
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Indian Chili with Ground Turkey:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Indian Curry Spice Mix (ingredients listed separately) - 5 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Naan - 4 , sliced into wedges
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Indian Curry Spice Mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 tsp
- Make spice mix - Combine garam masala, curry powder, cumin, ground coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store onions and sweet potatoes in their own containers. Combine garlic and ginger in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- If making chili in the slow cooker: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add turkey and spice mix (portion for chili). Cook turkey, breaking it apart as it cooks, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, and stock. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions and combine green and white parts. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Naan - Slice into wedges.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- If cooking chili on the stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add turkey and spice mix (portion for chili). Cook turkey, breaking apart as it cooks, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, and stock. Bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer chili until sweet potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- Stir beans into chili and continue cooking (in slow cooker or on stovetop) until beans are heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Toss naan wedges with butter and spice mix (portion for naan). Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Place naan under the oven’s broiler and toast, flipping with a spatula halfway through cooking, until golden brown on both sides (watch it closely to prevent burning), 2 to 4 minutes total.
- Taste chili and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chili with yogurt and green onions on top. Enjoy naan chips on the side.