Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
with sesame kale and carrot salad
Teriyaki sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and savory that takes this chicken bowl to the next level! Served with sesame kale and carrot salad on the side, this well balanced meal is ready in under an hour.
Smarts: Massaging the kale leaves with the dressing will allow the kale to tenderize and soften.
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed (sub chicken thighs)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Kale - 5 oz, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Combine garlic, ginger, arrowroot powder, honey, aminos, water, vinegar (portion for sauce), and sesame oil (portion for sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Shred carrots (if not already shredded). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Kale / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Cube avocados.
- Whisk together vinegar, sesame oil (portions for kale), and salt. Add kale leaves and toss to coat in dressing. Use your hands to rub dressing into leaves (this will tenderize them). Set aside.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and simmer until sauce thickens, ~1 minute.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Toss kale with carrots and avocados. Top with sesame seeds.
- Assemble bowls by topping cauliflower rice with chicken, sauce, and green parts of green onions. Serve sesame kale and carrot salad on the side. Enjoy!
I feel almost bad rating this since I shortcut-ed it so much (used pre-marinated teriyaki tofu from the store), but wanted to comment on the salad-- it was great. My husband, who doesn't like any leafy green salads, let alone kale, stopped twice during the meal to comment how good it was. It will be our new go-to way to serve kale around here. With the shortcuts, this came together in no time!0 Helpful
If the chicken and kale are cut and prepped ahead, this is a super fast meal to make. The sesame kale is AMAZING.0 Helpful
We added the spicy sesame oil to the salad and red pepper flakes to the chicken. Great recipe! Thank you!0 Helpful
Easy and pretty good! Great combo.0 Helpful
I loved this teriyaki sauce! I added shiitake mushrooms to the tofu and it was delicious.0 Helpful
Rice bowl was great! The tofu came out flavorful and a great texture. The salad was unexpectedly salty, but the edamame was an excellent addition. Massaging the kale made way more of a difference than I expected.0 Helpful