Teriyaki Chicken Brown Rice Bowlswith edamame / sesame kale
Teriyaki sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and savory that takes this chicken rice bowl to the next level! Served with a side of edamame and sesame kale, this nutritious meal is packed with protein, whole grains, and leafy greens.
Smarts: Massaging the kale leaves with the dressing will allow the kale to tenderize and soften.
- Rice, uncooked brown - 3/4 cup
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed (sub chicken thighs)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Kale - 5 oz, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Edamame, shelled - 1 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Brown rice - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check brown rice at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's tender and has absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Combine garlic, ginger, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, water, vinegar (portion for sauce), and sesame oil (portion for sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Edamame - If using frozen, defrost.
- Whisk together vinegar, sesame oil (portions for kale), and salt. Add kale leaves and toss to coat in dressing. Use your hands to rub dressing into leaves (this will tenderize them). Top with edamame and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and simmer until sauce thickens, ~1 minute.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Assemble bowls by topping rice with chicken, sauce, and green parts of green onions. Serve sesame kale on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 54 reviews
We added the spicy sesame oil to the salad and red pepper flakes to the chicken. Great recipe! Thank you!
Easy and pretty good! Great combo.
I loved this teriyaki sauce! I added shiitake mushrooms to the tofu and it was delicious.
Rice bowl was great! The tofu came out flavorful and a great texture. The salad was unexpectedly salty, but the edamame was an excellent addition. Massaging the kale made way more of a difference than I expected.
Really liked the Chicken, would put some veggies in it next time. Did not like the kale salad, I think our family is done with raw kale. We had edamame in shells and enjoyed them on the side instead of going through the work of taking them out of their shells for the salad. Wish I thought to sautee the kale (as per Patty's suggestion) instead of letting my husband throw it out.
Wow, that kale salad was amazing. The perfect amount of salad dressing. The teriyaki chicken had great flavor also and was very enjoyable.