Moroccan Bean Soup
with baby spinach / yogurt / pita bread
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup, chopped (from a jar of roasted peppers)
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, Navy (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Pita bread - 4 rounds
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Carrots / Shallots / Garlic / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and shallots in one container. Combine garlic and bell peppers in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - (Skip if spice mix was made ahead for Monday.) Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley - Chop parsley. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, bell peppers, and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
- Pour stock over aromatics and add in both types of beans. Simmer for ~5 minutes until beans are warmed through.
- Stir in spinach and simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Stir lemon juice and hot sauce (if you’d like it spicy) into soup. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast pita bread if you’d like it warm.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with yogurt and parsley on top and pita bread on the side. Enjoy!
Yum! I love this and it came together easily0 Helpful
Do not skip the hot sauce or yogurt!0 Helpful
Much better than the last time we had this soup, due to the addition of the meatballs.0 Helpful
This was a good crockpot meal. The meat eaters just added the meatballs to the vegetarian version.0 Helpful
Great flavor and easy to make from another meal leftovers.0 Helpful
This had a good flavor, and came together really quickly with premade meatballs.0 Helpful