Moroccan Meatball Soup
with baby spinach
This hearty Moroccan stew will keep you warm and full, with sweet roasted peppers and alluring North African spices. This meal was featured last year and it received great reviews; this year we added leftover Moroccan meatballs to the soup.
Moroccan Spice Mix:
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
Moroccan Meatball Soup:
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup , chopped (from a jar of roasted peppers)
- Moroccan Meatballs (leftover from Monday) - 12 , halved
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Carrots / Shallots / Garlic / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Combine carrots and shallots in one container. Combine garlic and bell peppers in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - (Skip if spice mix was made ahead for Monday.) Combine coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Meatballs / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, bell peppers, and spice mix and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more.
- Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
- Pour stock over aromatics and add in meatballs. Simmer until meatballs are warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Stir lemon juice and hot sauce (if you’d like it spicy) into soup. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with parsley on top. Enjoy!